Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Braced Up!

On Monday, August 1st, I had an orthodontic consultation appointment. I was thinking that all I was going in for the orthodontist to look at my teeth, tell me what kind of treatment I would need and tell me about their financial plans. Boy, was I wrong!

I went to the office and signed in and was instructed to be seated till I was called. I sat and waited and finally they called me in. I had some x-rays and pictures taken of my teeth and then I had to go sit in the waiting room and wait to meet the orthodontist.

My name was called and I went back into the office and met the Orthodontist. He was a really nice guy! He told me to sit in the chair and started looking in my mouth, calling off all these dental terms that I had no idea what he was talking about. After that part was done, we set down and he explained everything to me in layman's terms about what my teeth were doing and how we could correct them. We also went of how much it would cost. One of the things I remember him telling me was that I should probably go get a cleaning first before I got braces on. Well I was going to make an appointment for next week to get my impressions done but then I heard some good news!

I was told that I could get braces put on that very day! I was so estatic! I had waited for years to get braces and for me to go from consultation to having braces that same day, just amazed me! I thought about the cleaning and so oh whatever I'm sure it's fine, if it can happen today.

I went back in a room with a series of chairs and a few orthodontic assistants working on other people's teeth. I sat down in a chair and we were about to begin the process when Dr. M (We'll refer to him as that) came into the room and said how long has it been since you had a cleaning? My heart plummeted! I was afraid he would say, you can't have braces today because you need your cleaning first... I told him it had been about a year ago and he started looking at my teeth again and said well they look ok, go ahead. I wanted to leap out of the chair and dance, but I kept my excitement contained and thanked him!

We finally started the braces process! After the assistant cleaned my teeth, I rinsed my mouth our a few times. She started gluing the brackets on my teeth one by one and using this light tool to dry the glue. I had to rinsed my mouth out again after that was done. Then she put the wire in between the brackets and tightened it up. I didn't feel any pain whatsoever then.. I rinsed my mouth out one last time and smiled and saw I had a mouth full of metal. It felt weird to have a lumpy, bumpy mouth and when I would speak, my S' and F's didn't come out right. But I finally had them! :D

The assistant gave me instructions on how to clean my teeth, what I should eat and what I shouldn't and she also gave me a water bottle braces kit. I thanked everyone and went back to the front desk to make my appointment for my 1st adjustment. (I'm totally dreading it!)

I went in for a simple consultation and came out with a mouth full a metal and boosted confidence! I'm sure you're wondering did I have any pain! I had pain a few hours later and still dealing with some pain and I'm on the 3rd day. Hopefully, my pain will go away soon and I can start eating regular foods again. Soft food diet is not fun, when you LOVE to eat!

Even though, I'll deal with pain and discomfort, it'll all be worth it in the end, because I'll have a beautiful smile.


Before Braces





First Day of Braces

No comments:

Post a Comment